Re: [ietf-dkim] Issue: Deployment Guide Section 6.1/6.5 (ADSP/Forwader) conflict

2009-10-18 20:59:14
That seems sensible to me. So lists should not forward email that they're
about to render 'discardable' by breaking the signature. Instead, they
should reject (5xx) or bounce (DSN) the message. Presumably, a bank wants
to know if it has a bad email address for a customer.

Yep.

Of course, if you
aren't going to break the signature, or are rewriting the From: address,
then it's OK to forward the email.

Probably.

Hm.

It's been suggested (often) that a major use case for "discardable" is
a bank sending a bank statement, or the like.  Going by what's said
above, if the bank somehow gets a mailing list address instead of my
correct email address, it will behave this way (slightly
oversimplifying to make a point; please bear with that, because this
is a valid example):

- If the mailing list is configured to prepend "[Listname]" to the
subject lines, then it will reject the message, and the bank will know
there's a problem.

- If the mailing list is NOT configured to change the subject lines,
then it will accept and forward the message.  The bank will not know
there's a problem, and my bank statement will be forwarded to the
whole mailing list.

It seems wrong that the behaviour with an ADSP-compliant mailing list
should depend upon whether the list is configured to alter the subject
line or not.  I suggest that ADSP-compliant mailing lists should be
advised to reject "discardable" messages whether or not they will be
breaking the signature.

The point here, I suppose, is that forwarders that are meant to
forward to a single individual (as happens with my
<barryleiba(_at_)computer(_dot_)org> address) are one species, and should get
one
set of advice, while forwarders that are meant to fan out to multiple
recipients (as with mailing lists) are a different species, and should
get different advice.  And that latter advice very much depends upon
what we mean "discardable" to be for.

Barry