Re: [ietf-dkim] Issue: Deployment Guide Section 6.1/6.5 (ADSP/Forwader) conflict

2009-10-19 13:53:13
What is ironic about all this DKIM forwarding issue is the same issue
that SPF forwarding had.  This was one of the marketing advantages of
DKIM - that it didn't have a forwarding problem.

Well, it does.

Indeed it does.  But it doesn't have the forwarding problem for the
(large) class of forwarders that we might rather call "aliases" -- the
ones such as computer.org, acm.org, and college alumni aliases.
That's a major and common case that breaks SPF, but that DKIM works
with.

It's also possible -- we'll have to see what happens -- that mailing
lists could change their behaviour to take better advantage of DKIM
(with the specs that are already published).  That's not an option
they had with SPF.

So I think the fact that mailing lists aren't straightforward with
respect to any "sender authentication system" doesn't mean that DKIM
hasn't moved us well ahead in this regard.

Barry, as participant