Re: [ietf-dkim] Wrong Discussion - was Why mailing lists should strip DKIM signatures

2010-04-27 10:58:05

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:ietf-dkim-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Michael Thomas
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:13 AM
To: John Levine
Cc: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
should
strip DKIM signatures

On 04/27/2010 08:06 AM, John Levine wrote:
Another real question, equally important: who is actually writing
this
BCP?

Is it something that would make sense to add to the Development,
Deployment and Operations document?

It would probably be better to keep it separate, since it's likely
be more contentious than everything else in that document combined.

Oh, and I'll write it, just not this week.

I'd suggest that the author should be outside of the set of
contenders.

Mike

I would suggest several authors.

While I appreciate and respect John's perspective, I think there are
other cases besides phishing which he has not considered.

Misinformation and damage to reputation are two that come to mind. The
fact that a domain (or author within a domain) wishes to protect
themselves by signing what they write should not be discounted. This
should be true even (or particularly) when what they write or emit
passes through a mail list.

I get the sense that some discount what is communicated to/through a
list compared to what is sent directly. I'm not sure why that is so.

Mike