Re: [ietf-dkim] besides mailing lists...

2010-05-03 18:11:00
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Dave CROCKER <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:

On 5/3/2010 10:16 AM, MH Michael Hammer (5304) wrote:
So, using americangreetings.com, the Mail From and the From on our card
notifications is always ecards(_at_)americangreetings(_dot_)com(_dot_) The
information
about the sender is provided in the subject line and the body of the
message so that the recipient knows who created the card.

So, by way of fantasizing an example:  when John Levine sends me a greeting --
remember I said this was a fantasy -- through you guys and I hit Reply to
thank
him... he doesn't get it.

 From a user's perspective, this does not seem like such a winning scenario.

We're off in the weeds here, but a reply-to header would work just
fine to direct the reply message to the right person.

There's other reasons MH's scenario as described is a pretty good
practice, from the perspective of an ESP....stable domain identifier,
FBL participation at ISPs that tie it to authentication, etc.

But then the flip side of that is, the friend -- you -- will get an
email that doesn't actually have your friend's address in the from
field. Confusing, and could potentially result in higher spam
complaints than otherwise.

Then there's my concern about the differences in the applicability of
CAN-SPAM between the two scenarios. I could go on, but it seems out of
scope for the list....

Regards,
Al