Re: [ietf-dkim] list vs contributor signatures, was Wrong Discussion

2010-05-04 08:16:55

--On 30 April 2010 21:45:08 -0400 "John R. Levine" <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I don't think that's what I'm saying. Currently lists don't do much to
authenticate senders. I don't think it's implausible that a recipient
might  have stricter rules than a list manager. It might be unusual, I
suppose.

I agree it's hypothetically possible, but have you ever seen an actual
need for this in practice, a list where the recipients filter out
messages that a more competently managed list would have rejected?

I've seen spam posted to mailing lists. Recently, I've seen lists targetted
in more intelligent ways by spammers. For example, by using sender
addresses in the domain of the list (quite a useful way of attacking
academic lists, which tend to have lots of local users, but some non-local).

R's,
John

--
Ian Eiloart