Re: [ietf-dkim] list vs contributor signatures, was Wrong Discussion

2010-05-10 10:53:24
No, all it says is "we signed this mail."  A signer with a good
reputation will presumably rarely sign mail where the From: address
actively misidentifies the sender, but that's a second order effect.

Right, and because the domain owner has signed the email, they can be held
responsible for abuse. At least, to a greater extent than when the mail
hasn't touched any system that they have any control over.

It is certainly reasonable to say that the signer has a good reputation,
so we will accept his mail.  But that's different from saying that the
signer has a good reputation, so the From: address must be "real".

Once again, this sounds like a solution searching for a problem.  I've
done the occasional bozofiltering in mailing lists, but because the
people were bozos, not spammers.

The problem is reputation assignment. Different recipients (of mail from the
same list) will have different views of the sender's reputation.

But, the problem is real, and recognised. Mailing lists break signatures.

It is certainly a fact that mailing lists break signatures.  But there are
differences of opinion whether it's a problem.  Although I've seen plenty
of assertions that it's a problem, we're a bit thin with real life as
opposed to hypothetical scenarios where the broken signature leads to bad
results.

The only one I've seen so far is the ADSP+list -> lost or rejected mail.
I would say that is misuse of ADSP, not a list problem, since we were
quite aware of it and in Appendix B of RFC 5617 we say not to do that.

R's,
John