Re: [ietf-dkim] more on discardable, was Lists "BCP" draft

2010-05-26 09:51:00

On May 26, 2010, at 7:00 AM, Jeff Macdonald wrote:

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Steve Atkins
<steve(_at_)wordtothewise(_dot_)com> wrote:

On May 24, 2010, at 6:38 PM, John Levine wrote:

Since ADSP causes problems for innocent bystanders, I think it's
reasonable to decline A's mail in the first place.  This is doubly
true since the ADSP RFC rather specifically says that you shouldn't
mark a domain discardable if its users send mail to lists.

It causes no problems at all to innocent bystanders in that case - the
recipient at domain B is a willing participant who has chosen both
to pay attention to ADSP and to respond to it by rejecting, rather than
discarding, mails labeled "discardable".

Perhaps I missed something, but if domain B is rejecting email from the list
Authored by A, then won't that cause a list member at domain B to be removed
from the list as well? I think that is what John meant by innocent bystander.
Most MLM remove subscribers after repeated bounces. I don't know if they are
smart enough to look into why the message bounced.

That's exactly the issue, and not a theoretical one.

However, domain B is not an innocent bystander, as they intentionally
configured their mail system to reject mail it shouldn't, and the recipients at
domain B support that decision, on some level.

The mailing list operator is the one caught in the middle between two domains
that have made bad decisions, so is an innocent bystander, but the level of
inconvenience to them is pretty small, relative to the usual overhead of
running a mailing list.

Cheers,
  Steve