Re: [ietf-dkim] more on discardable, was Lists "BCP" draft

2010-05-26 10:36:59
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Steve Atkins
<steve(_at_)wordtothewise(_dot_)com>wrote:

On May 26, 2010, at 8:09 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:

On 05/26/2010 07:48 AM, Steve Atkins wrote:
Perhaps I missed something, but if domain B is rejecting email from
the list Authored by A, then won't that cause a list member at domain B to
be removed from the list as well? I think that is what John meant by
innocent bystander. Most MLM remove subscribers after repeated bounces. I
don't know if they are smart enough to look into why the message bounced.

That's exactly the issue, and not a theoretical one.

However, domain B is not an innocent bystander, as they intentionally
configured their mail system to reject mail it shouldn't, and the recipients
at domain B support that decision, on some level.

Wait a minute. There's nothing wrong with discarding something set to
discardable (cf, "shouldn't").

Yup. They didn't do that, though.

Or are you saying that it shouldn't produce a bounce/5xx and just
silently discard it?

Exactly.

Ah, and somehow I missed this part in your earlier message:

'rather than discarding, mails labeled "discardable". '

--
Jeff Macdonald
Ayer, MA