Re: [ietf-dkim] more on discardable, was Lists "BCP" draft

2010-05-26 10:20:34

On May 26, 2010, at 8:09 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:

On 05/26/2010 07:48 AM, Steve Atkins wrote:
Perhaps I missed something, but if domain B is rejecting email from the
list Authored by A, then won't that cause a list member at domain B to be
removed from the list as well? I think that is what John meant by innocent
bystander. Most MLM remove subscribers after repeated bounces. I don't
know if they are smart enough to look into why the message bounced.

That's exactly the issue, and not a theoretical one.

However, domain B is not an innocent bystander, as they intentionally
configured their mail system to reject mail it shouldn't, and the recipients
at domain B support that decision, on some level.

Wait a minute. There's nothing wrong with discarding something set to
discardable (cf, "shouldn't").

Yup. They didn't do that, though.

Or are you saying that it shouldn't produce a bounce/5xx and just silently
discard it?

Exactly.

If they would otherwise deliver the mail, and the reason they decided not to
was because of a combination of an ADSP-discardable record and the lack of a
DKIM signature then they should silently discard the mail.

(If you're about to reject or bounce a mail for some other reason and happen to
notice that it's discardable mail that's a quite different issue, and one we've
not really talked about.)

Cheers,
  Steve