Re: [ietf-dkim] marketing dkim

2010-08-20 16:57:32
Mark Delany wrote:
On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:55:40AM -0700, Murray S. Kucherawy allegedly

I don't know what you mean by "binding".  DKIM doesn't say From: has
to contain any particular value, only that it has to be one of the
signed fields.

I don't know about binding either,

hmmmmmmmmmm, I am surprise that I have to be put into an awkward
position to explain what "binding" means here as digital signature
term in what I thought was a technical qroup.  Very odd.

It is a well understood computer term especially when talking about
hashing values and electronic signatures.

Google it:

       binding hash signatures

Here is a hit that might help:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signature

    Digital signatures cryptographically bind an electronic
    identity to an electronic document .......

The term bind or binding is a commonly used in hashing ideas when you
want to associate parts, as in like Collections or Association Arrays.

For DKIM, when you hash the h= headers, you are technically binding
values, "entities", parts, to the signature.  Changing any values
breaks the bind.

Since 5322.FROM is a required binding for DKIM,  it means you can not
change the 5322.FROM without breaking the signature. This naturally
implies an digital signature binding assertion that can used for
security purposes.

I am surprise it is even questioned at this point.  Very odd.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com