Re: [ietf-dkim] Corner cases and loose ends, was , draft-vesely-dkim-joint-sigs

2010-09-28 09:13:19

On Sep 28, 2010, at 5:10 AM, Graham Murray wrote:

Ian Eiloart <iane(_at_)sussex(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> writes:

Oh, but I already know that my MLM is going to break any message with a
signed body. UK law practically mandates the addition of unsubscription
information in a message footer. We certainly require it locally.

Why does it have to be in the footer when (for many MLMs) it is also in
the List-Unsubscribe: header[1]? The 'excuse' that MUAs do not display
the header details does not hold water

Putting it in the List-Unsubscribe header that's not displayed
to recipients is pretty much equivalent to putting it in the X-Bamboozle
header that's not displayed to recipients when it comes to displaying
legally required content to recipients.

as the MLM footer would come
after the '-- ' author's signature separator and some MUAs will not
display the signature

I don't believe that's a behaviour you'd see in any commonly used MUA.

and if the original email was multipart/alternate
does the unsubscription information have to be included in all (normally
text/plain and text/html) alternatives?

You'd need to consult a lawyer familiar with your local laws, and ideally
also the local laws of every one of your recipients to answer those
questions[1].

But, when talking about legally required elements of a message the
sensible question to ask is often "Do you want to fund the lawsuit?".

Much more to the point, many people sending email via mailing lists have
a need to add information by modifying the body of the message, most
easily by adding it in the footer of the mail. Arguing that they
don't have that need, and hence that you don't need to support
that behaviour, isn't going to fly.

Cheers,
  Steve

[1] In the US the answer is yes, the unsubscription information
needs to be displayed to the recipient whether they're using
a plain-text only MUA or not, if it's a situation where it needs
to be displayed at all.