Re: [ietf-dkim] Corner cases and loose ends, was , draft-vesely-dkim-joint-sigs

2010-09-29 13:25:09
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of John Levine
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:52 AM
To: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Cc: ietf-dkim(_at_)kitterman(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Corner cases and loose ends, was,
draft-vesely-dkim-joint-sigs

This might be a good time to remind people that MLMs in their
current form are not broken, and any proposal that requires them to
stop doing something that they're currently doing, like rewriting
messages or adding message tags, is a non-starter.

Since nothing requires anyone do anything with respect to DKIM, I'm
hard pressed to imagine something that doesn't meet that requirement.

I was thinking of the various proposals to rewrite From: addresses, to
outlaw subject tags and message footers, and otherwise change the
behaviors that MLM users expect in order to make them conform to
various ideas of how DKIM and/or ADSP are supposed to work.

If the current MLM draft attempts to "outlaw" anything, that should be
corrected.  But I don't think it hurts anyone to point out that an MLM that
actually does want to try to preserve author signatures, for whatever reason,
should realize what options it has.