Re: [ietf-dkim] Corner cases and loose ends, was , draft-vesely-dkim-joint-sigs

2010-09-28 11:20:42

--On 28 September 2010 13:10:51 +0100 Graham Murray
<graham(_at_)gmurray(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk>
wrote:

Ian Eiloart <iane(_at_)sussex(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> writes:

Oh, but I already know that my MLM is going to break any message with a
signed body. UK law practically mandates the addition of unsubscription
information in a message footer. We certainly require it locally.

Why does it have to be in the footer when (for many MLMs) it is also in
the List-Unsubscribe: header[1]? The 'excuse' that MUAs do not display
the header details does not hold water as the MLM footer would come
after the '-- ' author's signature separator and some MUAs will not
display the signature and if the original email was multipart/alternate
does the unsubscription information have to be included in all (normally
text/plain and text/html) alternatives?

The law requires that there be an easy to use address for unsubscribing.
The List-unsubscribe header: would do the job nicely, if the majority of
people were using mail clients that expose it by default. I don't know of
any mail client which does that.

The footer, on the other hand, is displayed by most mail clients. The
legislation doesn't require that absolutely every case is covered. It's not
been tested in court, but I imagine that reasonable effort would be the
test applied.

Now, it may be that adding a footer isn't enough, but if that's the case,
then relying on the header is even worse.

[1] Which does not break the author's DKIM signature.

Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex
01273-873148 x3148