Re: [ietf-dkim] THIS IS A MULTIPLE 5322.FROM MESSAGE

2010-10-06 13:22:52
On Oct 6, 2010, at 1:22 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Mark Delany
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 8:06 PM
To: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] THIS IS A MULTIPLE 5322.FROM MESSAGE

There was an assertion in RFC4780 about "conforming emails" that must
only have a single 2822.From header. That got lost in the translation
to 4781 I guess. Unfortunately, 4780 failed to specify what
"conforming" means explicitly.

I also know that this WG has repeatedly stated that messages that are
not within standard MUST fail verification.

That this is not in 4871 seems to be mostly a WG assumption that
should be made explicit.

I think several of us thought it was in there, but on review it apparently
was indeed lost somewhere along the way.  We've certainly, as I understand
it, been proceeding from that assumption for a very long time.

I like the idea of saying so explicitly in 4871bis, and applying it both to
signers and to verifiers.

+1

I don't like the idea of being any more specific than that.  That is, I don't
want to create specific text for specific cases we know about because that
means anything we don't list could be perceived as less critical.  A blanket
admonishment to implementers is sufficient and appropriate.

+1