Re: [ietf-dkim] ISSUE: 4871bis-02 - Section 8.14 comments

2010-10-14 13:45:00
6.1.1 Validate the Message Syntax

The verifier SHOULD meticulously validate the format of the message
being verified against the requirements specified in [RFC5322],
[RFC2045], and [RFC2047].  In particular, limitations on the number of
occurrences of particular header fields specified in [RFC5322] section
3.6 SHOULD be verified. Messages found to be in violation of these
checks MUST return a PERMFAIL (message syntax error) verification result.

-1

If we go for changing the protocol in order to avoid the exploit, we
should explicitly enumerate the header fields whose duplication
verifiers MUST check.  "SHOULD meticulously validate" + "MUST return
PERMFAIL" make for a fuzzy protocol.

I think this is clear in Jim's text, and not contradictory or fuzzy at
all.  They SHOULD check.  If they check and the message violates the
checks, they MUST return a PERMFAIL.  Where's the contradiction or
confusion?

Is this, perhaps, an issue that's confusing to non-native English
speakers?  If so, we should make sure we take that into account in how
we phrase it.

The spec should also state whether duplicated fields invalidate a
signature even when they are duly signed.

It does.  A message that has two "From" lines, for example, is in
violation of RFC 5322.  It makes no difference whether it's signed or
not.  RFC 5322 (and the other specs) doesn't know about the signature
and doesn't care, and anything that checks compliance with it doesn't
care either.

Barry, as participant