Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposal: Removal of AUID (i= tag/value)

2011-04-01 23:44:15
Taking out "i=" doesn't create a back-compatibility problem because new signers
won't add "i=" so old verifiers don't use it, and new verifiers ignore "i=" so
old signers will still work.  So that won't derail a Draft Standard effort.

Adding something new, however, will.  The best bet would be to add the "st=" or
equivalent in a new draft, updating the IANA registries accordingly.  Then
RFC4871bis can still get Draft Standard, and the new tag becomes official on
its own.
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Jim Fenton
[fenton(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 2:33 PM
To: Franck Martin
Cc: IETF DKIM WG
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposal:  Removal of AUID (i= tag/value)

I'm told that adding something like this to 4871bis would require that
it go around again at Proposed Standard, rather than progress to Draft
Standard.

It might be possible as a separate extension to DKIM, however.  I have
an expired draft along these lines,
draft-fenton-dkim-reputation-hint-00.  But it didn't include the
specific stream names.

-Jim