Re: [ietf-dkim] 8bit downgrades

2011-05-19 21:37:02
On 05/19/2011 07:20 PM, John Levine wrote:
Can anyone remember why there's a SHOULD for the downgrade to 7-bit in
RFC4871 Section 5.3, rather than a MUST?  The likelihood of breakage is
so high when sending 8-bit data that DKIM almost becomes pointless
without the upgrade.

I think Pete's analysis is correct, but my advice would be to take
it out altogether.  We don't have any great insight into the warts
of what paths are likely to downcode a message and what paths aren't,
so I would prefer not to purport to offer advice about it.

Miracles... my implementation never bothered to worry about
that SHOULD and I don't feel dirty about it in the least: it
never made any difference that I could determine. This
was mostly an academic piece of advice, IMO. Since dev
managers literally looks at MUST's and SHOULD and ignore
MAY's to determine what gets implemented, this is not
quite as academic.

Mike