Re: [ietf-dkim] 8bit downgrades

2011-05-19 22:44:43
John Levine wrote:
Can anyone remember why there's a SHOULD for the downgrade to 7-bit in
RFC4871 Section 5.3, rather than a MUST?  The likelihood of breakage is
so high when sending 8-bit data that DKIM almost becomes pointless
without the upgrade.

I think Pete's analysis is correct, but my advice would be to take
it out altogether.

I don't believe Pete's analysis is correct, but I concur that first
paragraph should be taken out.  This is a Gateway, Border issue and
SMTP has plenty to see already about it.

We don't have any great insight into the warts
of what paths are likely to downcode a message and what paths aren't,
so I would prefer not to purport to offer advice about it.

We do have great insight - Don't Tamper with Passthru mail - that
should be the advice burn into systems if we want a future DKIM life
to be without stress.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com