Re: [ietf-dkim] 8bit downgrades

2011-05-20 00:21:27
-----Original Message-----
From: John Levine [mailto:johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:20 PM
To: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Cc: Murray S. Kucherawy
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] 8bit downgrades

I think Pete's analysis is correct, but my advice would be to take
it out altogether.  We don't have any great insight into the warts
of what paths are likely to downcode a message and what paths aren't,
so I would prefer not to purport to offer advice about it.

Actually, I kinda prefer to leave it in.  It seems to me "assume a downgrade
will happen unless you're certain it won't, and plan accordingly" is good
advice without having to know the details of a transport path.  And the
paragraph gives discussion of the how and why.