Re: [ietf-dkim] 8bit downgrades

2011-05-20 08:37:28
of what paths are likely to downcode a message and what paths aren't,
so I would prefer not to purport to offer advice about it.

Actually, I kinda prefer to leave it in.  It seems to me "assume a
downgrade will happen unless you're certain it won't, and plan
accordingly" is good advice without having to know the details of a
transport path.  And the paragraph gives discussion of the how and why.

So long as it's clear that the advice is illustrative rather than
definitive, I'm not extremely opposed.

What I want to avoid is the impression that we think we've anticipated
all possible message mutations, so if there's one we didn't mention,
that means we need to add another hack to DKIM to work around it.

R's,
John