[ietf-dkim] dot-forward, was 8bit downgrades

2011-05-24 09:14:00
On 24/May/11 15:22, John Levine wrote:
Of the 31, 20 were from Keith Moore signed messages into the IETF-SMTP
list with a 3rd party signature and Hoffman's list server (non-dkim
aware) doing this:

Oh, it's a mailing list.  Why are we even having this discussion?  We all
know there's a million ways that lists break incoming signatures, which
is why they should sign on the way out.

IMHO, that MLM is only responsible for the inserted whiteline; MIME
rewriting is done by MTA/MDA.  This rewriting is typical of a class of
messages that arrive at an MTA and then undergo a dot-forward or
similar mechanism.

Although it is a minor number of messages, I don't think that
ignore-by-design could play a winning role here, because --unlike
mailing lists-- there is no way to eventually fix this at the
forwarding MTA.