Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM Scouts, was 8bit downgrades

2011-05-24 14:59:07

On 5/24/11 12:47 , "Hector Santos" <hsantos(_at_)isdg(_dot_)net> wrote:

Steve Atkins wrote:

Exim doesn't downgrade. It doesn't advertise 8bitmime either, by
default.
If you switch on 8bitmime advertising, it still doesn't downgrade. I
think it just tries to deliver the mail as 8bit, regardless of what
the
receiving MTA does. I think postfix and sendmail do the same, but I'm
not sure.

Exchange advertises 8bit and then bounces the mail if it tries to
forward it
to a server that doesn't advertise 8bit.

This (entirely RFC valid yet completely broken) behaviour has bitten me
a couple of times.

+1

If everyone (mail transport/mail handlers) just followed the basic
mail networking principle of:

    Thou should not touch passthru mail (except for network traces)

Are there the same issues with PGP or S/Mime email?