Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM Scouts, was 8bit downgrades

2011-05-25 15:10:14
It tells me signing and encryption certificates are valid and even their
root certificates are valid...

Well, something's wrong with it.  I checked the signature in Alpine,
Thunderbird, and Evolution, and they all agree it's fine.

I went back and looked in more detail. The problem appears to be that this mailing list wraps the signed body in a MIME multipart/mixed section including both the signed message and the unsigned footer. Some MUAs look inside the mixed and see the signature, some don't. For the ones that do, I haven't checked to see how if at all they distinguish the signed part from the unsigned when they show you the message (shades of all the l= arguments.)

So this tells me that existing mail software doesn't try very hard to recover signatures from modified messages, even for simple changes that don't need any guessing or heuristics to undo. Why would anyone think that the situation with DKIM would be any different?

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",