Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM Scouts, was 8bit downgrades

2011-05-26 08:47:50
Ian Eiloart wrote:
On 26 May 2011, at 12:46, Hector Santos wrote:

In principle, passthru mail should not be tampered, but MLM list mail are
the industry accepted exception to this non-tampering tradition and today
(at least in the USA), it is CAN-SPAM legal requirement to have a
viewable OPT-OUT text shown to the user to satisfy the CAN-SPAM
"capitalistic" legal right provided to the VENDOR to due business with
users.

Yes, and are similar requirements across the European Union. In the UK,
the phrase is "easy to use". That's not the case if the user interface
doesn't obviously expose it.

Still, we're straying off topic here, I guess.

It was a background side point, but nevertheless an important point to
keep in mind when a suggestion is made list operators is expected to
move towards not changing list submissions during the distribution.
Whether via a footer or via a meta-data header intelligent modern mail
viewers make use of, it needs to be shown and this is what I have to
consider.

My take (as a list software developer) is that if these smart mail
viewer are expected to exist, then we did our job by providing
guidance to domain signers sending mail to a list:

  - use the "l=" tag
  - not hash RFC5322.Subject (not actually written in spec)

That way the list server can continue two to three things:

  - Add the LIST-* headers
  - Add the text footer
  - Add the Subject tag [LIST-NAME]

and the smart MUA now can:

  - Use the meta-data (List-Unsubscribe), and
  - not show the text beyond "l=" body length.

So it appears we have all the ingredients in place actually.

But for the legacy MUA, the visual footer would satisfy the "business"
requirements.

Note: I am just describing what I have to consider for our List Server
product, I am not thinking as a List Operator only.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com