Re: [ietf-dkim] MLMs and signatures again

2011-05-26 15:05:53
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Steve Atkins
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:21 PM
To: DKIM List
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] MLMs and signatures again

In my experience with traditional discussion MLMs (which is the
situation we're talking about) if I trust the MLM, I generally don't
care about who the participants are.

Good, that's useful data.

If the reputation of the MLM is poor enough that mail from it is not
being delivered, trumping that with an authors reputation may get
individual emails delivered - but not threads, so it doesn't really
improve the value provided to the recipient (it probably decreases it -
a mailing list that delivers one in ten posts to my inbox is less
useful than one that delivers none at all).

Perhaps an MLM's reputation is pulled up or down as the average of those of its
participants, so if the MLM can attract "good" senders, suddenly entire threads
start getting through.  But that would only be possible with signature survival.

I don't know, I'm mostly brainstorming here.  The abstract idea seems
reasonable but the MLM instance of it carries with it so much baggage that it's
perhaps the worst possible example.