Re: [ietf-dkim] MLMs and signatures again

2011-05-26 15:49:22

On 5/26/11 12:21 , "Steve Atkins" <steve(_at_)wordtothewise(_dot_)com> wrote:

On May 26, 2011, at 12:02 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of John R.
Levine
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:40 AM
To: Ian Eiloart
Cc: DKIM List
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM Scouts, was 8bit downgrades

Mailing lists have worked quite well for 40 years with no signatures at
all, making all sorts of random changes to the mail, so it has to be
something more than that.

Applying the same logic: Email in general has been fine without DKIM
for 40 years, so why do we need it?

Thinking in abstract terms: If you accept the premise that DKIM
delivers a validated domain name as its payload, and that domain name
represents an ADMD that takes "some" responsibility for a message, then
it's not clear to me why one would claim it's not valuable to have two
responsible parties instead of just one.  You can then evaluate both of
those names and decide if either of them, or perhaps the combination of
them, warrant additional filtering or, instead, priority handling.

The question really is: How valuable is this?  Or put another way: Is
it worth the work to make the two identities available instead of only
that of the MLM?  I suspect the answer is "yes" as it can only improve
your accuracy.  The only remaining issue is how hard it will be to make
that happen, and whether or not the payoff is big enough to offset the
pain.  That, I think, is the real thing that needs to be evaluated.

In my experience with traditional discussion MLMs (which is the situation
we're talking about) if I trust the MLM, I generally don't care about who
the participants are.

True, but the system in charge of delivering the email to your mailbox,
does not know about this trust. So how can we infer you have given this
trust to the mailing list? Is your trust the same as some other person?

So the receiving MTA, sees messages with List-id: headers in direction to
your mailbox. What it shall do? The Receiving MTA does not usually know
you have subscribed to the mailing list...

1) as Murray says, It can infer it has to deliver (or not) the email based
on other participants reputation to build a list reputation? side note: do
mail receivers treat mailing list differently than any other emails?

2) do we need a mechanism to alert the receiving MTA that you have
subscribed to a mailing list, and all messages should pass through?