Re: [ietf-dkim] MLMs and signatures again

2011-05-26 15:36:02
Perhaps an MLM's reputation is pulled up or down as the average of those of its
participants, so if the MLM can attract "good" senders, suddenly entire threads
start getting through.  But that would only be possible with signature survival.

In my experience, the reputation of the list is unrelated to the reputation of its participants. For example, in my filters I deliver mail from this list directly into the inbox without content filtering, even though I discard mail sent directly from a few of the subscribers.

With 40 years of experience with MLMs, a lot of experiments have already happened, and we should spend more time looking at the history rather than guessing what might happen under some hypothetical circumstances. For example, we don't have to do experiments to find out whether people want an MUA to distingish between signed and unsigned parts of a message. We've already had partially signed messages (like this one, if you get it through the list) for over a decade, and MUAs don't care. Either they don't see the signature at all (Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail), or they show the message without any particular distinction between the signed and unsigned parts (Evolution, Apple Mail, Alpine.)

If anyone's claiming that contributors' DKIM signatures on list mail are important, a good start would be to look at how PGP and S/MIME signatures have been treated during the many years they've been in use. I don't see any harm in experiments like having an MLM adding a signed A-R header to the mail, since it doesn't break anything that works now, but I would want rather concrete evidence from anyone claiming that people pay any more attention than they do to S/MIME signatures now.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",