Re: [ietf-dkim] 8bit downgrades

2011-05-24 14:26:09

On May 24, 2011, at 3:55 AM, Ian Eiloart wrote:

On 23 May 2011, at 23:10, Franck Martin wrote:

There is an interesting post today on
http://chilli.nosignal.org/mailman/listinfo/mailop about exim and 8bit

It seems they will stop to downgrade.

Exim doesn't downgrade. It doesn't advertise 8bitmime either, by default. If
you switch on 8bitmime advertising, it still doesn't downgrade. I think it
just tries to deliver the mail as 8bit, regardless of what the receiving MTA
does. I think postfix and sendmail do the same, but I'm not sure.

Exchange advertises 8bit and then bounces the mail if it tries to forward it to
a server that doesn't advertise 8bit.

This (entirely RFC valid yet completely broken) behaviour has bitten me a
couple of times.

I'm not sure any of this affects DKIM much, other than "Hey, look! Yet another
way DKIM signatures might get removed in transit!".

Cheers,
  Steve