Re: Anonymity use cases

2004-10-08 13:45:08

On Oct 7, 2004, at 5:35 PM, Jim Fenton wrote:
Can you elaborate the use cases that need anonymity? It isn't that I disagree with this point, but that I just don't know what you are talking about. I'm sitting here thinking, "As a receiver, I don't care to receive email from anonymous sources."

Some (hypothetical) examples I can think of are:

- An email crime-tips hotline
- A corporate or Government whistle-blower hotline

Though I don't doubt their utility, my concern is that the same mechanism that would allow anonymity for these users would also work for spammers.

- Any of the other myriad of other reasons that people use anonymous remailers today.

However, remailers allow a user to use the identity of another. This is fine, and I don't think anything special needs to be done to support it.

-andy