Re: Mandating MIME

2004-10-08 14:26:19

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 16:33:14 -0400 (EDT), James M Galvin wrote:
    Finally, I expect that the signature semantics issue that
 we have     been discussing would mean that we wouldn't end
 up with real S/MIME     or real PGP-MIME, but a different
 MIME type entirely that expresses     the fact that the
 signature means something else.

 I don't think so.  What a signature means is determined by
 context, which is usually outside the scope of the protocol
 but in scope of the application.  If the signature
 information carries a "policy identifier" of some sort, then
 the signature process (as opposed to the application) could
 make some decisions about the signature, but this is not
 typical usage.

Jim,

If the use of s/mime to satisfy this authentication requirement
is so straightforward, perhaps you can generate a "profile"
document that provides the necessary detail?

This will then permit folks to make concrete technical and
operational comparisons between what you are advocating and
altnerative proposals.

d/
--
Dave Crocker