Re: Want a BoF at IETF 62?

2004-12-28 21:00:18

Russ,

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:12:46 -0500, Russ Housley wrote:
  t is time to decide if MASS is going to have a BoF at IETF 62.  As you
  know, one was not held at IETF 61.  Is the group ready to nail down a
  charter and milestones?

(following a number of the replies made so far...)

There are topics that can have IETF specification work start from scratch and
be a successful working group.  It does not look as if this is one of those
topics.

Hence, I believe that MASS-related work in the IETF -- and that includes a
second BOF -- must occur only after there is a proposal with clear and strong
momentum. In effect, anything that obscures the functional basics, or impedes
the resolution of competition between alternatives, needs to be settled before
there is IETF work.

I think I see some signs of progress along these lines -- and, no, it is not
reflected on this mailing list -- but my own view is that it has not yet gone
far enough.  There is some chance that it will reach it in time for the IETF
meeting, but I'd guess the odds are no better than 50-50.

If you would be at all willing to schedule a bof tentatively, it might help
some contenders focus their efforts a little more.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking