Re: DKIM licensing

2005-07-14 10:10:07

Dave Crocker wrote:
William,

This list is for discussing the technology of DKIM and pursuing IETF
standardization.

This list is for discussion of technologies of automated email signatures
and not exclusive to DKIM.

It is for MASS IETF standardization efforts.

There will be a meeting on this in Paris and it will be about DKIM.

If you want to expend list participant resources on having more general
discussions, there is, of course, no clear management oversight for the
list...
yet.

Nor is there a sublist for issues such as these. This issue will creep
up. It is creeping up right now. MARID was packed with this discussion.
I feel it does have a place and does warrant debate, discussion.

We can wait until the working group is chartered, to assert that restriction
of
scope, or we can exhibit some discipline from the start.

The IETF has some rules pertaining to intellectual property and it
It is in the interest of IETF to make sure that technology can be used
by all implementors of software in the area of standardization work.

The IETF has some rules pertaining to intellectual property.  If you have
reason
to believe that they are not being followed, that should be discussed here.

There are many licenses, and many methods of pertaining to intellectual
property. I have very good reason to believe that in order to have
standard actually be a standard, it must be adoptable.

IMHO, there is little point in expending time working on a standard that
isn't adoptable by a very significant number of contemporary email
systems.

Otherwise, the discussion is quite simply out of scope.

I really do understand what you are saying here, but as the old
saying goes, "well begun is half done". I feel it would really be very
helpful to put this issue to bed as soon as possible. Trying to
remove this this issue from the discussion entirely, or attempting to
label it as non-germane to task at hand, I fear will just end in
frustration for all involved.

We all have topics we think are important.  That does not make them within
scope.

  d/
  ---
  Dave Crocker