Re: mostly open issues

1998-11-11 13:55:59
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 12:40:15 -0800
From: Randall Gellens <randy(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>

My understanding of the DRUMS discussion on Resent-* headers is that
they are not to be used for .forward style automatic, unconditional
forwarding, but are supposed to be used for user-initiated forwarding.
I say that Sieve falls into this latter category, and thus Resent-*
headers SHOULD be generated.

Okay, I'm not sure if I agree with the first half, but I can accept the
second half in any case.

4.  Request: Short-circuit evaluation should be either MAY or MUST, and
    must be discussed in case it matters in the future.

I've implemented them, but I suspect there may be implementation
environments where this is hard to support, and so I don't think we can
require it.

Really?  Could you provide an example?  I can think of only one, and I
think it's rather absurd.

Chris, why shouldn't this be "SHOULD"?  I think SHOULD would be useful
since I assume short-circuit evaluation will be required by extensions
that specify tests with side effects, and it's useful from an efficiency
standpoint.

--
Tim Showalter <tjs+(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu>