Re: mostly open issues

1998-11-11 17:56:53
On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Tim Showalter wrote:
My understanding of the DRUMS discussion on Resent-* headers is that
they are not to be used for .forward style automatic, unconditional
forwarding, but are supposed to be used for user-initiated forwarding.
I say that Sieve falls into this latter category, and thus Resent-*
headers SHOULD be generated.

Okay, I'm not sure if I agree with the first half, but I can accept the
second half in any case.

Actually, I disagree with Randy here.  My take on the DRUMS decision was
that Resent-* headers are for User Agent manual resends.  If Sieve is
running on an IMAP server, then Resent-* headers shouldn't be generated,
IMHO.

4.  Request: Short-circuit evaluation should be either MAY or MUST, and
    must be discussed in case it matters in the future.

I've implemented them, but I suspect there may be implementation
environments where this is hard to support, and so I don't think we can
require it.

Really?  Could you provide an example?  I can think of only one, and I
think it's rather absurd.

Chris, why shouldn't this be "SHOULD"?  I think SHOULD would be useful
since I assume short-circuit evaluation will be required by extensions
that specify tests with side effects, and it's useful from an efficiency
standpoint.

There is no justification to use SHOULD.  Either programmers can rely on
short-circuit behavior or they can't.  The former is MUST, the latter is
MAY.

                - Chris