Re: mostly open issues

1998-11-20 18:12:23
At 12:20 AM -0800 11/18/98, Ned Freed wrote:

I'm sorry, but if short circuit evaluation is useful then it should be a
requirement, and if not it should not even be an extension. I don't buy the
argument that this is problematic because some languages don't support
short-circuit evaluation. Just because you don't have short-circuit in some
language doesn't mean that you cannot write a sieve interpreter in that
language that does have short circuit characteristics. The two are largely
unrelated unless you're using a direct translation approach, in which case
other constraints are likely to be a lot more onerous.

True. I withdraw my concern regarding mandatory short circuit evaluation. (After reading Ned's message I realized that my own implementation would still support short-circuit evaluations even if the underlying language didn't.)

How about something like:

ANYOF evaluation MUST stop as soon as one element evaluates to TRUE. That is, Sieve implementations are REQUIRED to support short-circuit evaluations.

(With the same for ALLOF, except TRUE replaced by FALSE.)