Re: mostly open issues

1998-11-11 15:01:08
From: "Alan K. Stebbens" <aks(_at_)nowhere(_dot_)software(_dot_)com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:41:51 -0800

| 3.  Request: forward adds Resent-* headers.

This should be context dependent.  If the Sieve filter is run by the system
administrator, and forwarding is caused for site administrative reasons,
then the Resent headers probably should not be inserted.

On the other hand, if the Sieve filter is run by a user, causing a
forwarding, then the Resent headers should be added.

I don't understand the difference.  Typically Sieve scripts are run by
the system at time of mail delivery, which falls into neither of the
above cases.

I believe the right thing to do is to always add Resent headers, despite
the possible efficiency gains of not doing so.  I believe the benefit of
trace informaton outweighs the benefits of efficiency gains, especially
given that forward is going to cause mail loop headaches.

--
Tim Showalter <tjs+(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu>