RE: mostly open issues

1998-11-12 13:26:52
| > There is another twist on this. I venture to say that a Sieve
| implementation
| > MAY choose to forward a message using MIME encapsulation. In such a case
| > resent headers MUST NOT be inserted. This should be enough for seriously
| > considering Alan's suggestion.
|
| I venture to say that it must not.  Have you missed the following
| paragraph from the -04 Sieve spec?:
|
|    The forward command performs an MTA-style forward--that is, what  you
|    get  from  a .forward file using sendmail under UNIX.  The address on
|    the SMTP envelope is replaced with the one on the forward command and
|    the  message  is  sent  back out.  (This is not an MUA-style forward,
|    which creates a new message with a different sender and  message  ID,
|    wrapping the old message in a new one.)

I've lost some antecedents in this discussion.  What part of "Alan's
suggestion" are you disagreeing with, Barry?  That there is a need for
"resend" itself, or with Tomas' suggestion that "forward" possibly do a
MIME-wrapped resend?

Alan, compare the "I venture to say" phrases, which was the clue to
what I was talking about.  To spell it out, my post was only taking
issue with Tomas's statement that one could implement "forward" in
the manner he suggested.  I said nothing more, and I meant nothing
more.  (In fact, I don't care much what the decision about the "resent"
tags is, so I didn't comment on it.)

Barry Leiba, Multimedia Messaging  (leiba(_at_)watson(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com)
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/l/leiba