Re: mostly open issues

1998-11-12 11:48:46
At 03:53 PM 11/11/98 -0800, Chris Newman wrote:
4.  Request: Short-circuit evaluation should be either MAY or MUST, and
    must be discussed in case it matters in the future.

I've implemented them, but I suspect there may be implementation
environments where this is hard to support, and so I don't think we can
require it.

Just bringing these up as it may affect things:

Not to make things more confusing here, but in 2.11 where it is
mentioned that left-to-right evaluation is to be used (implied that
there may be extensions that allow for multiple arguments), it does
not make any indication of anything akin to the ( and ) for expressions
in C.

Also, Randall Gellens mentioned in one of his posts that he used ^r and ^f as
placeholders in his implementation.  Not slapping Randall's hands on
this subject, but shouldn't we have some SIEVE supplied method of doing
that instead of local implementation stuff?  Otherwise Randall's scripts
are not really going to be that portable after all.

regards,
Jack
Jack De Winter - Wildbear Consulting, Inc.
(519) 884-4498          http://www.wildbear.on.ca/homepages/jack/