Re: mostly open issues

1998-11-11 18:24:53
At 3:53 PM -0800 11/11/98, Chris Newman wrote:

My take on the DRUMS decision was
that Resent-* headers are for User Agent manual resends.  If Sieve is
running on an IMAP server, then Resent-* headers shouldn't be generated,
IMHO.

As I recall, we didn't discuss cases such as Sieve, only user-agent filtering and automatic, .forward style. The consensus was to generate Resent-* on the former, not the latter.

So, where would Sieve fit in? I say Sieve, being (a) under the direct control of the end-user, and (b) acting conditionally based on per-message criteria, is essentially an extension of the UA, and thus Resent-* headers should be generated. By comparison, I consider Sieve to be equivalent to existing filtering in many clients, which often supports a forward action.