Re: Discard vs. DSN

1999-03-23 14:23:40

--On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 4:09 PM -0500 the entity known as Gregory Sereda
<gsereda(_at_)maillennium(_dot_)att(_dot_)com> wrote:

       - Or say discard SHOULD NOT generate NDN?

My preference would be stronger than SHOULD NOT but not quite
MUST NOT.  I guess that means stating the discard SHOULD NOT
generate a NDN.

To which Matthew Wall offers this response on Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:27:56
-0500:

according to the logic of [KEYWORDS], this seems like the solomonic
compromise, short of splitting the baby in two. We'd probably want to add a
line or two in the document explaining the circumstances under which it
might be good to generate (as Greg suggests), with appropriately poisonous
adjectives to otherwise discourage it.

But Discard must be mandatory; it's fundamentally useful.

I agree with the model, fwiw, of 'discard' as an automated delete button.

- mw