Re: values of notify ":priority" tag

2005-12-07 04:06:37

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 02:28:37PM -0500, Barry Leiba wrote:
Suppose, for instance, we have a notification mechanism that is able to
determine "how busy" I am.  That mechanism might decide to match the
notification's priority my busy status, informing me only of high-
priority notifications if I am "very busy", of all notifications if I am
"not busy at all", and so on.

So that's what :priority is about: A second channel to the Sieve
implementation, besides the one that is used to set/manage a filter,
which tells the filter notify backend how to behave.  Looking at it that
way, of course I would prefer to change the filter, depending on the busy
status, but that may not always be possible if the busy status is detected
in another medium without a channel back to Sieve filter management.

Of course I could pass the priority as attribute of the notification
and let whatever receives notifications filter them.  So we still have
notification method specific priorities there, although not to specify
the quality of notification service, but the importance of notifications
to the recipient.

Which notification method is meant to make use of this feature and how
would it be implemented? Or are there implementations already?

Michael