Re: values of notify ":priority" tag

2005-12-08 08:34:51

On Tue Dec  6 08:40:18 2005, Michael Haardt wrote:
Personally, I wonder why priorities are considered so useful and the
option is not just dropped, but that's me.

Which is an interesting point.

I can only think of three levels of priority, and it's not really priority at all.

1) I'd like to be told about this sort of message, at some point, if you can.

2) I need to be told about this message.

3) I absolutely must be made immediately aware of this message.

The trouble is, that no amount of priority twiddling will express this - the only place to express it is in what method is used.

This in turn makes me wonder whether we actually need an intermediate service which dispatches the notifications at some point in the future, which can be told how best to contact us, depending on the importance of us reacting to that notification.

Dave.
--
          You see things; and you say "Why?"
   - George Bernard Shaw