Re: Questions regarding RFC 5228

2008-10-20 14:43:46

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 09:53:18AM -0700, Ned Freed wrote:

Stephan Bosch writes:
Hello,

I am finishing up a first release of my Sieve implementation, and one
of the TODO items that yet remains is getting some answers to
questions that arose during development. I've collected these into a
file an now I submit them to this list to get some clarification. Any
help is greatly appreciated.

* RFC 5228 (Sieve) : 5.1.  Test address:
"Implementations MUST restrict the address test to headers that
contain addresses, but MUST include at least From, To, Cc, Bcc,
Sender, Resent-From, and Resent-To, and it SHOULD include any other
header that utilizes an "address-list" structured header body."
  -> Will this cause a compile error, or are the disallowed headers
 simply ignored? My implementation currently considers this to be a
 compile error.

So does mine.

Our implementation does not. We allow address tests on all possible header
fields. The test fails if the field does not contain actual addresses.

[ snipped ]

Ditto; I was going to say the same thing, and for all the points
you mention.  This "MUST" (or at least that interpretation of it) is
something I disagree with - I think it's unreasonable for an
implementation to tell a script writer that they may not attempt to
examine or extract or test an address in a header field that the script
writer wants to examine or extract or test, even if that header field
might not be defined as addresses in it in a structured way.  The
message-id case is a perfect example, but there are others.

I think that that proscription is more of a script 'con' than a 'pro.'  :)

mm