Questions regarding RFC 5228

2008-10-19 06:42:56

Hello,

I am finishing up a first release of my Sieve implementation, and one of the TODO items that yet remains is getting some answers to questions that arose during development. I've collected these into a file an now I submit them to this list to get some clarification. Any help is greatly appreciated.

* RFC 5228 (Sieve) : 5.1.  Test address:
"Implementations MUST restrict the address test to headers that contain addresses, but MUST include at least From, To, Cc, Bcc, Sender, Resent-From, and Resent-To, and it SHOULD include any other header that utilizes an "address-list" structured header body." -> Will this cause a compile error, or are the disallowed headers simply ignored? My implementation currently considers this to be a compile error. -> Given the variables extension, sometimes the specified header names aren't known until runtime. If the previous answer was to cause a compile error, should this abort the script at runtime? * RFC 5228 (Sieve) : 5.4. Test envelope: "The "envelope" test is true if the specified part of the [SMTP] (or equivalent) envelope matches the specified key. This specification defines the interpretation of the (case insensitive) "from" and "to" envelope-parts. Additional envelope-parts may be defined by other extensions; implementations SHOULD consider unknown envelope parts an error." -> Given the variables extension, sometimes the specified envelope parts aren't known until runtime. Should invalid ones abort the script or is ignoring them a better practice?

Regards,

--
Stephan Bosch
stephan(_at_)rename-it(_dot_)nl