Re: Potential Work Item: New DNS resource records

2004-03-11 12:40:15

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:02:28AM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
2) TXT record with prefix label, e.g. _spf, _ep
      This fills all the requirements, with the possible exception
      of (1) since some DNS configurations reject labels with
      underscores. I think in the context of an IETF proposal we
      can get these fixed.

This is not a problem at all, as this kind of notation is already widely
used and well defined for SRV records.

I would like to go the _spf route. OK we can be tactful and call it
_lmap. But we should decide on the code point NOW so that people
who are deploying TODAY can build in code that makes allowances.

With a look at the future and not to pollute the flat namespace too
much it would probably be a good idea to make a group (this is not a
proposal for a name) _antispam.example.com and put the _lmap in there
so to have
    _lmap._antispam.example.com.

Thinking about that a bit more "_policy" might be a nice name to use
for the subdomain.
This also has the advantage that if we need more than one piece of
information, like if we want to publish policies (nospam, optout, optin
doubleoptin, ...) and SPF/RMX information we would not need to put
it all into one big fat complicated record.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299