Re: Potential Work Item: New DNS resource records

2004-03-11 14:20:42

----- Original Message -----
From: "wayne" <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf-mxcomp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 3:09 PM
Subject: Re: Potential Work Item: New DNS resource records

I agree with Phillip here.  I think that in the context of an IETF
proposal, we can get these fixed, but there ARE problems that need to
be fixed.  Last fall, when it looked like SPF deployment would be
going a lot slower, it was decided that using an underscore would
be too much of a hurdle for rapid adoption.  It was also determined
that the usage of TXT records is low enough that there wasn't a need
to place them in a subdomain in order to keep the DNS queries under
512 bytes.

Small note: This should be a non-issue as most DNS resolvers should be
supporting truncated datagrams DNS responses with a fallback to TCP
streaming.   For sure, Microsoft CEP depends on it based as it even
documented the idea of split XML TXT records that need to be joined
(implying +512 bytes situations).

http://www.santronics.com