Re: sender vs author, channel vs object, designated sender vs crypto signatures

2004-03-18 21:27:25

Meng Weng Wong wrote:
On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 07:04:04PM -0800, Mark C. Langston wrote:
| > | > While designated sender schemes can be used for fight header forgery | > (like CID does), they might be breaking too many things. The question we | > should be asking is whether we should be verifying the "from" header, | > not whether proposal X is better. | | Indeed. |
OK, what is your answer?

You can choose to verify the "from" header in all cases like Phil is pushing, you can can verify the "from" header in *some* cases like you original proposal, or can choose *not* to verify it. Case #1 breaks too many things, case #2 might work but is likely not to be followed when implemented, and case #3 does not stop header forgery at all.

HOWEVER, the main problem with header forging is fooling the user. If the MUA can indicate to the user that a message is suspicious perhaps by displaying the "Return Path" header OR comparing the "Return Path" to the "from" header, and simply putting a question mark somewhere; that might be something useful.

Even if you are only verifying the MAIL FROM, you did accomplish something - the "Return Path" header in the mail message itself is now verified and can be relied on (assuming you can deal with the forged ones by removing them). Now that you verified it, you can build on that fact.

Yakov