Re: when spoofing isn't

2004-03-19 10:01:39

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 11:44:32AM -0500, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

Some things are going to break. If the benefit of breaking them is much
greater than the cost from the breakage that it might be worth it. We
should not say that we absolutely will not change anything, rather we
need to look at costs and benefits, and figure out how to break the
least number of things while achieving the greatest benefit.

That's what I meant.  I should have said, "Let's not break things
unnecessarily."  My biggest concern at the moment is that we not place
too great an onus on the MUA due to MTA changes, lest we create breakage
for entire classes of service, such as SMTP via cellphone.

--
Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark(_at_)bitshift(_dot_)org