RE: When spoofing is.

2004-03-20 06:50:20

To the layperson, the three are identical, thus the distinction for
Grandma is irrelevant, as she doesn't have the technical knowledge to
distinguish among the three in this arena.

The distinction is irrelevant because she certainly won't be running
Mutt as you hypothesised earlier.

She knows because her children and children's children have told her
what their email addresses are; she knows because her friends
have told her what their email addresses are.

Familiarity would be the issue, seeing them before.

More than that, she knows because
that's who the computer told her it was, and she has no reason, nor
desire, to doubt it.  Grandma trusts that From: header (or whatever
prettified equivalent is presented to her by her MUA) as surely as she
trusts the Caller-ID display on her phone, or even as much as
she trusts
that the voice she hears on the other end of that phone is who she
thinks it is.

And today that trust is completely misplaced

Solving problems by creating problems for others won't
aid our efforts.
Particularly when it seems that the problems have been created to
address unspoken motives.

You have seen no problems so there are no problems ?  Sure...

That's not what I said.  I said that sniping at legitimate services
under the guise of attacking spammers isn't likely to win friends and
influence people.  We should be conservative in what we break.

The postcard sites already have a big problem getting their mail
through. I don't think they really care very much about this issue.

Just tell them how to do it right. They can fix their perl script
in a few days. Some geek gets a few hours consulting somewhere but
its not a big deal.

If you read CAN-SPAM there could even be legislative requirement
already to use the from address of the postcard site, not one
added in from a form.