Re: When spoofing is.

2004-03-21 12:56:35

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 08:44:55PM +0100, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 09:38:24AM -0800, Mark C. Langston wrote:

I am not here to combat spam.  I am here to combat email fraud. Spam
is just one of many forms of fraud.

Could you list the others?  This goes back to the "[il]legitimate
spoofing" thread, and it'd be good to have suppositions about what you
view as "fraud" on the table.  Right now, I'm getting the impression
that it's any altering of the From: or ENVELOPE-FROM header.

[...snip]

with the usual virus payload attached.  How do I see these headers?  Well,
IBM was kind enough to bounce them to me.

I'm sure you've seen other examples, such as paypal asking you to verify
your account information.

Actually, I was hoping you'd list less obvious, more borderline cases of
identity alteration, rather than going for what everyone would agree was
spam.

You said you want to "combat email fraud", and I mentioned that to me,
your position seems to be "prohibit any and all identity alteration".  I
was just asking you to clarify your position.

So, let me ask in a different way:  Do you agree or disagree that your
position is "prohibit any and all identity alteration"?  If you
disagree, could you provide an example of what you'd view as legitimate
identity alteration?

But let's not participate in this silliness.  I don't believe you are
unaware of the many problems, so the only logical conclusion is that
you are a troll.  Go feed on someone else please.

That's not productive.  Could we keep the discussion focused on the task
at hand, rather than personal attacks?  You brought up a very broad term
-- "email fraud" -- and stated you were against it.  I'm just trying to
understand the boundaries of the term you introduced, from your point of
view.

--
Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark(_at_)bitshift(_dot_)org